This is adapted from The Hairy Bikers Diet Cook Book
I left out the stock, wine and flour in the meat sauce and you wouldn't even notice!
This is a time consuming creation but I think worth your while.
1 large leek
1 medium onion
1 medium carrot, grated
300g lean mince beef
1 garlic clove peeled and crushed
400g tinned tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
2 bay leafs
142ml skimmed milk
2 tbsp corn flour
50g low fat chddar cheese, grated
Salt and Pepper
- Trim the leeks till they fit the dish you are using. Cut them length ways through to the middle and open them out into 'sheets'. Take the inner leaves from the center and finely chop them. When you have separated the larger leaves, which will be your 'lasagne' sheets. Finely chop half the onion and cut the other half into wedges
- Cook the mince beef in a non-stick frying pan until beginning to brown, then add the leeks and onions. Cook for a further five mins, or until the mixture looks dry. Add the carrots and cook for a further two mins, followed by the garlic, herbs, one bay leaf, tomato paste and tomatoes. Allow to simmer until the sauce thickens.
- While the mince is cooking put the onion wedges, bay leaf and some pepper into a pan. Mix two tablespoons of milk with the corn flour and add the remainder of the milk to the pan with the onions. Allow to simmer gently for a couple of mins and then remove from the heat and allow it to infuse.
- Half fill a pot with boiling water and put your 'lasagne' sheets in to blanch for about five mins, until tender. Remove and run under cold water to stop the cooking process and lay out on a clean towel to dry.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Remove the onion and bay leaf from the milk and mix in the cornflour mixture, stiring over a low heat until the sauce thickens. Loosen with some water if necessary
- Allow all the components to cool. Then assemble as you would a normal lasagne.
- Bake for about 30 mins or until the cheese is golden and bubbling